- No hot water
- Insufficient hot water
- Rust colored water
- Rotten egg odor
- Low rumbling or popping noise
- Higher pitched whining
- Water leaking around base of the hot water system
- Turn off power to your electric hot water system Melbourne. Do this by turning off the circuit breaker or fuse powering the hot water system Melbourne.
- Turn the gas pilot control valve to "pilot" setting.
- Shut off the water supply to the hot water system Melbourne.
Let's look at each problem and what possible causes and repairs exist.
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has No Hot Water FlowPossible Causes
- Faulty gas pilot light
- Faulty gas thermocouple
- Faulty gas pilot control valve
- Check that the gas pilot flame and pilot is operational.
- Re-tighten, reposition or replace the gas thermocouple.
- Replace the gas pilot control valve.
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has Insufficient Hot WaterPossible Causes
- Hot water system is undersized for water heating demands
- Broken or damaged dip tube allowing cold and hot water to mix in the tank.
- Faulty plumbing installation has crossed cold and hot water connections
- Gas supply or control problems
- Make sure the hot water system is not being overtaxed by hot water supply demands. The hot water system should have 75% of its capacity as hot water (e.g., a 40-gallon WH should be used for a demand of 30 gallons).
- Undo the cold-water inlet and pipe nipple and remove dip tube. Check the condition and replace if required.
- Check for crossed connection by turning off the water supply to the hot water system Open a hot water faucet. If there is water flow, then there is a crossed connection somewhere. Check for a hot water line connected to a cold-water connection on the hot water system Melbourne or appliances such as washer, dishwasher, faucet or shower valves.
- Check for a proper flame from the burner. A natural gas flame should be bright blue with the tip of the flame having just a tinge of yellow. A propane flame should have a bluish green flame with a tinge of yellow at the tip.
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has Rust Colored WaterPossible Causes
- Corrosion occurring inside glass lined tank
- Sacrificial anode rod is failing (anode rods dissolve slowly to prevent rusting in the tank)
- Replace the sacrificial anode rod with magnesium anode rod. Anode rods are available from a plumbing supply house.
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has a Rotten Egg SmellPossible Causes
- Bacteria in the tank sediment fed from hydrogen gas created from decay of sacrificial anode.
- Flush the hot water system using a hydrogen peroxide solution of 2 pints 3% peroxide to 40 gallons of water, treat tank and run some of the solution into water lines.
- Let peroxide solution set in the tank and pipes for 2 hours. The Solution is not toxic and requires no rinsing.
- If the problem persists, replace the anode with a zinc-alloy anode.
- If the problem remains, replace the hot water system Melbourne with a plastic lined tank type.
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has a Low Rumbling or Popping NoisePossible Causes
- Noise heard is the sound of boiling water. Excessive buildup of sediment in bottom of the tank is causing overheating of the tank bottom and boiling of water to occur.
- Remove sediment by flushing the hot water system
Your Hot Water System Melbourne has a Water Leak Around the Base of HeaterPossible Causes
- A faulty T&P (temperature and pressure) relief valve
- The T&P valve leaks due to excessive pressure, overheating or is stuck
- A leak from overhead or nearby plumbing connection
- A leaking water tank (corrosion likely)
- Place the bucket under overflow pipe. Open and flush T&P valve clear of debris. If the leak remains from the valve, replace the valve.
- Reduce the thermostat setting to prevent tank overheating and opening T&P relief valve.
- Inspect bottom of the tank by looking through the combustion chamber. If water marks or heavy rusting is noticed or if water is noticed setting in the combustion chamber bottom, then the water heater needs to be replaced.
Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing is your local plumber Melbourne specialist. If you have an issue with a blocked drain Melbourne or hot water system Melbourne, then you need a 24 hour plumber Melbourne or an emergency plumber Melbourne to service you. You might also reach out to a gas plumber Melbourne to help you. It’s important that you have a plumber Melbourne, Melbourne plumber, plumbing Melbourne, plumbers Melbourne you can trust. Drain Camera Melbourne and Carbon Monoxide Testing Melbourne are other service we offer to our clients. Emergency Plumbing Melbourne is important to your home system. Do you have a Burst Pipe Melbourne? Our public holiday plumber is available 24/7.
We service many suburbs including:
Plumber Prahran, Plumber South Yarra, Plumber Toorak, Plumber Carlton, Plumber Brunswick, Plumber Brighton, Plumber Camberwell, Plumber St Kilda, Plumber Malvern, Plumber Elwood, Plumber Caulfield, Plumber Cranbourne, Plumber Doncaster, Plumber Frankston, Plumber Williams Town, Plumber Port Melbourne, Plumber Carrum Downs, Plumber Glen Iris, Plumber Hampton, Plumber Mordialloc, Plumber Box Hill, Plumber Middle Park, Plumber Richmond, Plumber Burwood, Plumber South Melbourne, Plumber Hampton, Plumber Albert Park, Plumber Elsternwick, Plumber Ivanhoe, Plumber Templestowe, Plumber Essendon, Plumber Pascoe Vale, Plumber Thornbury, Plumber Coburg Plumber Rye, Plumber Portsea, Plumber Sorrento, Plumber Rosebud, Plumber Mornington, Plumber Dromana, Plumber Mount Eliza, plumber Kew, Plumber Chelsea, Plumber CBD, plumber Carnegie, plumber Cheltenham, Plumber Bon Beach, Plumber Mentone, Plumber Seaford, Plumber Carrum, Plumber Safety Beach, Plumber Karingal, Plumber Langwarrin, Plumber Skye, Plumber Sandhurst, Plumber Balnarring Plumber Mount Martha, Plumber Pearcedale, Plumber Baxter, Plumber Clyde, Plumber Clyde North, Plumber Lynbrook, Plumber Lyndhurst, Plumber Fitzroy, Plumber Armadale, Plumber Hawthorn, Plumber Caulfield East, Plumber Caulfield South, Plumber Caulfield North, Plumber Officer, Plumber Hampton Park, Plumber Beaconsfield, Plumber Berwick, Plumber Narre Warren, Plumber Hallam, Plumber Endeavour Hills, Plumber Yallambie, Plumber Westmeadows, Plumber West Melbourne, Plumber Watsonia, Plumber Viewbank, Plumber Tullamarine, Plumber Southbank, Plumber Rosanna, Plumber Ripponlea, Plumber Reservoir, Plumber Princes Hill, Plumber Preston, Plumber Northcote, Plumber North Melbourne, Plumber Montmorency, Plumber Meadow Heights, Plumber Macleod, Plumber Lower Plenty, Plumber Kingsbury, Plumber Kensington, Plumber Wheelers Hill, Plumber Waterways, Plumber Travancore, Plumber Surrey Hills, Plumber Strathmore, Plumber Springvale, Plumber Sandringham, Plumber Patterson Lakes, Plumber Oakleigh, Plumber Oak Park, Plumber Notting Hill, Plumber Noble Park, Plumber Niddrie, Plumber Murrumbeena, Plumber Moorabbin, Plumber Moonee Vale, Plumber Moonee Ponds, Plumber Mont Albert, Plumber McKinnon, Plumber Keilor, Plumber Jolimont, Plumber Jacana, Plumber Highett, Plumber Heidelberg, Plumber Heatherton, Plumber Abbotsford, Plumber Aberfeldie, Plumber Airport West, Plumber Alphington, Plumber Ascot Vale, Plumber Ashburton, Plumber Attwood, Plumber Avondale Heights, Plumber Balaclava, Plumber Balwyn, Plumber Hadfield, Plumber Gowanbrae, Plumber Glenroy, Plumber Glen Huntly, Plumber Gladstone Park, Plumber Gardenvale, Plumber Garden City, Plumber Flemington, Plumber Fishermans Bend, Plumber Fawkner, Plumber Fairfield, Plumber Edithvale, Plumber East Melbourne, Plumber Eaglemont, Plumber Donvale, Plumber Yarraville, Plumber Wantirna, Plumber Vermont, Plumber Spotswood, Plumber Seddon, Plumber Scoresby, Plumber Rowville, Plumber Ringwood, Plumber Park Orchards, Plumber Nunawading, Plumber Newport, Plumber Mulgrave, Plumber Mount Waverly, Plumber Mitcham, Plumber Lysterfield and all over Melbourne.